Rather than just talk about a band I would recommend going to see tomorrow night at Schubas, I asked Michael Hush, lead of pop-rockers Five Foot Nine, to tell me his favorite pop culture tidbits from 2008 (Now that it’s over).
Before I get all list-y, the Five Foot Nine play fresh, clever, well-arranged rock that most immediately reminds me of Brooklyn’s Bishop Allen. Both bands combine tasteful guy/gal harmonies, tight rhythm sections, and great sing-along choruses with charm to spare. Local swaggering glam-punk poppers The Handcuffs are also playing.
Here’s were Mike’s Pop Picks of 2008.
Books: as for fiction… Here are 3 novels that I really admired this year
- Denis Johnson, “Tree of Smoke”
- Michael Chabon, “Yiddish Policeman’s Union”
- The Lazarus Project, “Alexander Hemon”
- The Visitor
- Frozen River
- Happy Go Lucky
- Los Campesinos
- Bonny Prince Billy
- The Hold Steady
- Probably Holiday Inn Express spot where the geeky marketing dude displays his dope rhyming skills on the corner in NY…
Pop Culture Moment:
- …got to be Grant Park on election night