Adam “Mauritania” Fiebs is doing just fine in Africa. The coup going on there is, in so many words, “boring”. Meanwhile, it’s been generally agreed that Mauritania Peace Corp work is the least-desierable of all assignments. Yay Adam!
…as you can see, as predicted, the coup is boring and goes with the saying “maritania…worst…coup…ever.” oh well. … i guess peace corps took an unofficial poll and has concluded mauritania is the least desirable, if not hardest, service in peace corps. hilarious! hope all is well
Adam then reposted the email he’s received from his P.C. director, of sorts, Obie. (I’ve edited it for brevity and entertainment value).:
I just wanted to drop you a quick note to say hello and provide you with a brief update on the political situation in the country. Not that I am counting, but this is now my third coup d’etat since arriving in Mauritania! As happened in 2005, this looks to be a rather benign coup … At this stage, there are no indications that you (or other foreigners residing in the country) are in any danger as a result of the recent action taken by officers of the Mauritanian military.
The airport has remained open and business and government offices seem to be functioning as usual. The U.S. has suspended all non-humanitarian aid to the country. Peace Corps is considered a “humanitarian” agency and as such is not immediately impacted by the cut-off in U.S. aid.
Hmmm. I would think that a coup just might shake-up a government. Apparently not.
…Some things to keep in mind as we move forward:
- In order to protect the integrity of Peace Corps’ mission, it is imperative that you do not engage in sensitive political discussions concerning Mauritania.
- Please avoid large gatherings or demonstrations.
- It is very important that everyone respect out-of-site policy (please keep your APCD informed of your whereabouts).
- Do not allow yourself to be interviewed by any media outlet without first clearing it with me.
- Keep in contact with your family and friends in the U.S., it goes a long way to reassuring them of your well being.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call or eMail any of us. The after-hours emergency duty officer number is xxx-xxxx.
Very Best — Obie
P.S. With all of this great material, I would think that a pretty good PC Mauritania tee-shirt could be designed!
If they do eventually make a t-shirt, I will insist Adam send one my way so I can put it up for sale at TeeCycle.